Thursday, April 24, 2008

Cal Poly Going For Regolith Excavation Challenge

The Cal Poly College of Engineering and SLObotics are forming a team to try to win the Regolith Excavation Challenge. It looks like SLObotics was a FIRST team in that area - maybe the same folks? Here's more, apparently from a member's blog:

A team of Cal Poly engineers (alum), including myself, are officially forming SLObotics as a company to develop and market new technologies relating to the fast-evolving field of robotics. Right now we’re focused on our design for the upcoming NASA Centennial Challenge this summer, but we’re also well into the development of our first product.

I don't know anything about the team (I hope I capitalized it correctly - the press release and blog post did it differently), but they should have an advantage in not having as many transportation issues to worry about, because the competition is supposed to be held on the Caly Poly campus.

I think a team with that kind of advantage should be obliged in the official rules to take the other teams out to the local pub. I guess with 20 teams already registered this year that could get expensive, though ...