Video Contest: Graduate Research Fellows Creating the Future - National Science Foundation
NASA'S 2013 Lunabotics Competition Open For Registration - SpaceRef
Space elevator ideas rising again - Cosmic Log includes the status of the Strong Tether Challenge in this overview. Although the NASA Centennial Challenge expired, ISEC is still interested in the competition. From the Space Elevator Blog post from a couple weeks ago Space Elevator Conference registration deadline approaching… :
ISEC is funding the prize purse for this year’s Tether Strength Competition and the rules have been updated to lower the bar a bit and increase the chances that someone will win the competition this year. Competition rules are now available on the conference web site. One or two teams are interested in competing this year and we’re working to get them registered for the challenge.
However, according to the Competition rules link above,
The Strong Tether Challenge will not be held at the 2012 Space Elevator Conference and is postponed until next year. We were not able get the competition organized in time to allow participants to adequately prepare for the conference. However, we are now prepared to have the competition organized and announced well before next year's conference and also have time to look for additional sponsors to increase funding for the prize purse.
Engineering TV Video from AUVSI on Laser-Powered Stalker - LaserMotive, the winner of the other NASA Centennial Challenge presented as a Space Elevator competition, the Beam Power/Climber Challenge, shows its work with Lockheed Martin.
Conrad Foundation News, August Newsletter, 2012 - Conrad Foundation Spirit of Innovation Awards
The Sikorsky Entrepreneurial Challenge - Sikorsky - Although Sikorsky is focused on helicopters, some of the current challenges are relevant to spacecraft, too:
- How can your business concept enable safe, high-speed manned and unmanned vehicle operations in complex, obstacle-rich environments?
- How can your business concept utilize vertical flight to better serve or create new markets?
- How can your business concept introduce new approaches to preserve, stabilize or heal damaged systems and structures?
- How can your business concept reduce the cost and time of the design-build-test-qualify process for new complex vehicles?
- How can your business concept realize cost savings and lead-time reductions by using 3-D printing and additive manufacturing to produce or maintain components in vehicles?
NewSpace Competition a Potential Model for Canada - Commercial Space